The aim of the Strive to Thrive Learning Program for Year 2 is to:
- Recognize increasing and decreasing number sequences;
- Represent multiplication and division by groups;
- Learn currency values;
- Identify missing number;
- Count from and to 1,000;
- Perform simple addition and subtraction.
Students are introduced to mathematical symbols and language to communicate and explain mathematical ideas; they pose basic mathematical questions and develop simple strategies to investigate and solve simple problems.
Typically, students will:
- describe number sequences and locate numbers on a number line
- represent simple fractions using pictures
- learn about Australian money
- describe and draw shapes and objects, and use units to measure length
- learn to tell the time from an analogue clock, and use a calendar to determine the date
- describe the outcome of a chance event
- collect and investigate data collected from simple problems.