The aim of the Strive to Thrive Learning Program for Year 9 is to:
- Ensure students can show how to manipulate language features;
- Create texts that respond to issues;
- Interpret and integrate ideas from other texts;
- Integrate visual, print and/or audio features;
- Review own and peers texts to improve clarity;
- Use accurate spelling and punctuation.
Students develop and justify their own interpretations of texts, such as poetry and novels. They create a wide range of texts to communicate complex ideas by experimenting with language, text structures and images.
Typically, students will:
- read a range of challenging fiction that explores themes and issues
- compare and contrast ideas in different texts, justifying their own interpretations
- navigate and analyse online texts
- talk about the way they select language features and vocabulary when creating texts
- explain different viewpoints and perspectives using logical arguments
- create written and multimodal texts such as speaking to a prepared PowerPoint presentation
- edit and refine their own work and provide constructive feedback to peers
- design webpages that include sound, images and text
- plan, rehearse and deliver longer presentations with relevant and well-researched content.